History of Washington County

Washington County received its present name in 1784, having previously been called Charlotte county, when it claimed to include a part of the present state of New York. Its greatest length is 64 miles average breadth to South Bay, of Lake Champlain, 17 miles; and thence on the N. 6 miles. Centrally distant from New York 210, from Albany 60 miles. The face of the country is very much diversified. That around Lake George is generally rugged and mountainous, presenting summits from 600 to 1,200 feet in height. All the northern part is broken and hilly. The southern part, though considerably uneven, presents a very large proportion of arable land, well adapted for the various products of agriculture. In the northern part, which is comparatively new, the pine forests supply large quantities of lumber. The county is abundantly watered. As a whole, it holds a respectable rank in agriculture, producing much wheat, but is better adapted to grass. A large proportion of the population is from New England, and large emigrations are yearly making from New York. The county is dividedn into 17 towns.

(Historical Collections of the Ste of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co., 1851)