MOUNT ALBION CEMETERY.
This Cemetery containing about twenty-five acres of land, belongs to the Village, though situated two miles east from the Court House. It lies on the south side of the highway leading to Holley. The land was purchased by the Corporation of the Village in May 1843 for $1000, and at that time was mostly covered with a native growth of forest trees. The whole grounds have been surveyed and laid out into Avenues, Paths, and Lots, and open spaces left for ornament.
The average size of the Lots is 20 feet square, but many of them are of different size and shape, to suit the irregularities of the surface and the plan of the survey.
The good taste displayed by Mr. Marvin Porter, the Engineer, to whom the laying out of these grounds was entrusted, has been the admiration of all who have examined them, and for natural beauty of surface and location, and peculiar fitness for a burying place, they are believed to be unrivalled in the State.
From the highest eminence, which is the highest ground in the part of the town, a fair view is obtained of Lake Ontario, and of a large extent of surrounding country.
The soil is sand and gravel, always dry and easy to dig. The Corporation have removed the largest and most unsightly trees, planted many young trees and shrubs, trimmed and arranged the whole, constructed walks and carriage ways over the grounds, and surrounded the whole lot with a neat fence.
Lots are sold to persons living on or off the Corporation without distinction, and enough has been realized from these sales to pay for the land and the public improvements. Some beautiful monuments have been erected by individuals upon their lots, and considerable has been done by the Corporation by way of ornament, to beautify the grounds. Very many bodies have been removed by their friends from the old burying place in the Village to Mt. Albion.
This enterprise, so much in accordance with the proper spirit and temper of the age, exhibits the enlightened sensibility of the people of Albion; and the zeal with which it has hitherto been conducted indicates the liberality, intelligence, and correct religious character which distinguishes its leading inhabitants.
A public dedication of this Cemetery was had under the direction of the Trustees, Sept. 7, 1843, when an eloquent Address was delivered on the grounds, to an immense assembly, by Daniel R. Cady, Esq.
Before Mount Albion was opened as a Cemetery, a Burying Ground, containing about an acre of land, had been laid out between State Street and the Canal, on the east side of the Creek in the Village. Few burials have been made there since the new Cemetery has been in use, and it is in contemplation to take up this burying ground entirely, have the bodies removed, and devote the place to other purposes.
SOURCE: Sketches of village of Albion : containing incidents of its history and progress, from its first settlement, and a statistical account of its trade, schools, societies, manufactures, &c. (1853); Arad Thomas; Albion, N.Y.