09 - Newspapers - Sketches of Village of Albion


The Orleans American. - The first Newspaper published in Albion was called "The Newport Patriot," the first number of which was issued by Franklin Cowdry, about February 1, 1823, and was conducted by him until about October 1, 1825, when he sold out his press and newspaper to Timothy C. Strong, who continued the publication until July, 1829, when he sold the entire establishment to John Kempshall, who published the paper about nine months. It was then discontinued for about nine months. Afterwards, and about January 1, 1831, the press and paper was reestablished by T. C. Strong, and continued by him until the year 1844.

This paper has been published under the different names of "The Newport Patriot," "The Orleans Advocate," "The Anti-Masonic Telegraph," "The American Standard" - and now bears the name of "The Orleans American." Messrs. J. & J. H. Denio purchased this paper in April, 1844, and published it until April 1, 1851. Byron C. Beebe is its present editor and proprietor. It has a weekly circulation of about 700 copies. Its politics are whig.

The Orleans Republican. - This is a weekly newspaper edited and published by Willsea & Beach. This paper was established in the year 1828, by Cephas S. McConnell, and published by him until 1841. It then passed through several hands, returning again to Mr. McConnell, by whom it was transfered to Mr. J. O. Willsea, in the year 1848. Soon after this transfer Mr. McConnell established "The Orleans Democrat." In August, 1851, Mr. C. G. Beach became associated with Mr. Willsea, as joint proprietor and editor; and in November, 1852, this firm purchased the establishment of The Orleans Democrat, merging that paper in the Republican.

SOURCE:  Sketches of village of Albion : containing incidents of its history and progress, from its first settlement, and a statistical account of its trade, schools, societies, manufactures, &c. (1853); Arad Thomas; Albion, N.Y.