CHARLES AUGUSTUS DOLSON, Deputy Attorney-General of New York, is one of Buffalo's leading lawyers. Mr. Dolson is a sound practitioner, an accomplished advocate, and is recognized as one of the foremost trial lawyers in Western New York.
The Dolson family came from Holland, the name being formerly Van Dolson, and is traceable to the early Colonial period. The muster rolls of New York State in the Revolution show that at least six members of the Dolson family served as soldiers in the War for independence. Dolson town, in Orange County, derives its name from them.
In 1790 Stephen Dolson, the great-great-grandfather of Charles and Edwin L. Dolson, removed from Orange to Bath, Steuben County, N. Y. Rev. Stephen Augustus Dolson, grandfather, was a Methodist clergyman. His son, Dr. Joseph S. Dolson, the father of Charles A. Dolson, was a prominent physician and an influential citizen of Steuben County. He was a Republican, served as Postmaster at Bath, and held other political positions. He was a member of the first Board of Pension Examiners in Steuben County. When the Civil War broke out Dr. Dolson became Assistant Surgeon of the 161st Regiment, New York Volunteers, and during the last two years of the war served as Surgeon-in-Chief of the Military Hospital at Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
In 1850 Dr. Dolson married Amelia A. Smith. Through her mother, Mary Howland, Mrs. Dolson was descended from John Howland, one of the Pilgrims who came over in the Mayflower. Mrs. Dolson was one of the earliest women physicians in the State. She successfully practiced her profession for forty years. Her death occurred in April, 1906. Dr. Dolson died on the 10th of July, 1893. They are survived by two sons, Charles A., and Edwin L. Dolson.
Charles Augustus Dolson was born in Bath, N. Y. He was educated in the public schools of Bath, Temple Hill Academy, Geneseo, and the University of Michigan. On leaving college he went to Albany, N. Y., as clerk to Senator Gabriel narrower. Meantime he became a student at the Albany Law School. When twenty-one years old he was admitted to the bar. Immediately he formed a copartnership with former Congressman W. P. Richardson at Angelica, N. Y. In 1879 he removed to Elmira, where he practiced for several years, and for a time was associated with Charles D'Autremont, afterward Mayor of Duluth and Attorney-General. From Elmira Mr. Dolson- went to Hornellsville, where he practiced until he came to Buffalo and became associated with George N. Orcutt. On the admission of Edwin L. Dolson to the bar in 1890, the brothers formed the partnership of Dolson & Dolson, which has, with the exception of one year, existed ever since.
To the duties of his profession Mr. Dolson brought a strong equipment of legal learning and native ability. He held a conceded place as one of the foremost lawyers of Steuben County, and was for years engaged in almost every case of large importance in that locality.
In the fall of 1906 Mr. Dolson was appointed Deputy Attorney-General. Although the designation was to the Court of Claims, the Attorney-General has availed himself of Mr. Dolson's experience and ability in the direction and trial of important litigations outside of that department.
Mr. Dolson is a member of the State Bar Association, the Lawyers' Club of Buffalo, the Ellicott Club and the Yacht Club.
Mr. Dolson married Alice Harman of Andover, Allegany County, N. Y. They have two daughters: Grace Neal Dolson, who was educated at Cornell University, later pursuing studies abroad at the Universities of Leipsic and Jena. From Cornell University she received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, and is now a lecturer on philosophy at Wells College. During a two years' visit to Europe she completed a text-book on philosophical subjects. The other daughter, Elizabeth Harman, is the wife of Harry Smith, a well-known official of 'the Gould railway systems in the South. They reside at Ridgewood, New York.
SOURCE: Memorial and Family History of Erie County New York; Volume I